Wednesday 5 March 2014

Queen bee and teaching!!

Since finishing up my Liberty quilt top last week, I seem to have gained a whole lot of motivation for sewing - I started two new projects over the weekend, and have been cutting fabric for my Ausmod bee mates over the last couple of days (after a huge amount of deliberation over block and fabric choice). I've put together a test block, mostly to make sure I'm sending out enough fabric. All the other bees I've been in have worked from our own stash, so sending out fabric is a first for me and I'm a little terrified I won't send enough.

I'm asking my bees to make Migration blocks (designed by my uber talented friend Charlotte). I have made a few changes to how I made the geese (I used the no-waste method for the smaller two sized geese), but it came together surprisingly quickly. I've chosen a bunch of grassy-greens and black on white prints for the background. Green is my absolute favorite colour, and I've cut into a bunch of favorite prints for this quilt, so I'm hoping (fervently) that it will work!


The other very exciting news is that I'm going to be teaching at one of my favorite local fabric shop, Frangipani Fabrics. I will be teaching two of my favorite patterns: the Marcelle Medallion and Necessary Clutch Wallet. My classes start up in April and May, but if you'd like more information, you can contact Briony, Kath and Anne at Frangipani Fabrics for all the details. 

I hope everyone is having a great week! I'll be back tomorrow with our first Decipher Your Quilt post :o)

xx Jess

17 comments:

Jessica said...

Gorgeous<3 I might be using this as my queen bee block too! It's either that or let people experiment with flying geese. I haven't decided. Thanks for the link!

Adrianne @ On the Windy Side said...

Lovely block! I am a big fan of green too - apparently we use a lot of it on this side of the world :-D Congrats on the teaching too - I'm sure you'll have a lot of fun!

ChristaQuilts said...

Yay! So exciting for you! You will make a great teacher - I am sure of that!

sarah elizabeth :: {no} hats said...

Congratulations!!! I hope you get a chance to teach your mad quilting skills to the world, too! :)

Charlotte said...

LOVE the green :-D

Quiltjane said...

I am looking forward to this block. I have all those fabrics but I don't think we will run short. Congratulations teacher :)

Annabella said...

The tester block is gorgeous Jess!! I love that a quilt shop is named after a food (got to be good) and that you are teaching something like the Marcelle Medallion - so much more interesting than usual quilt shop workshops!!

Jess @ Scrappy n Happy said...

How exciting! Your block is great too, I look forward to getting my little package soon!

Unknown said...

I adore your work! Wish I lived closer and could glean some skills from one of your classes....have fun!!

Carla said...

That block is fabulous ! Text prints are so great

Benta AtSLIKstitches said...

I never look at green (it was my school uniform for 7 years) but I really like the combination you've come up with , I might have been converted!

Katy Cameron said...

Your quilt is going to look fab, and congrats on the new gig!

Mara said...

This is a beautiful block the quilt will look amazing.

Rebecca Lynne said...

Green is my favorite color and some of these fabrics are delicious! Love it...am liking flying geese more and more these days...

Nat at Made in Home said...

Love that block! and congrats on the teaching!

Kirsten said...

Loving the green geese! Wish I was in Tassie too so I could go to your classes:)

Carli The Quilter said...

This is a lovely expression of my spring because we've just left the -29C type of cold and we still have lots of snow and little itty bitty bits of green are pocking out as if saying "heh, I'm ready to be springtime"
Carli